While enrolment in Modern Languages courses at secondary school and university has been in decline for more than a decade, the number of pupils attending supplementary (weekend) language schools is rising. Yaron Matras, who leads the Multilingual Communities strand of the AHRC-OWRI consortium Cross-Language Dynamics: Re-Shaping Community, calls for a research and public engagement strategy that embraces community language initiatives, and for a national language policy that gives more attention to the domestic arena. Read the full text here.
- European Day of Languages: Researchers call for a Multilingual Cities Movement, as first major European city launches language diversity policy
- New student reports now online
- Event at Houses of Parliament: Recognising Our Citizens’ Many Languages
- Event: A Celebration of Faith and Language Diversity
- Conference “Rethinking Language and Community: Diversity in Global Settings”